Hamilton Hospital has been the premier healthcare facility
in Hamilton County, IA, for 100 years. The original structure was
constructed just east of the present building, and opened its doors
to the public in 1903. After a brief operational interruption, St.
Joseph's Mercy Hospital of Dubuque and the Sisters of Mercy took
over the facility. In 1927, the Sisters of Mercy threatened to abandon
the building unless a new and modern structure was built. Because
no action was taken, the sisters abandoned the hospital and it was
torn down in 1930.
Just one year later, the Hamilton County Board of Supervisors ordered
an election on a $100,000 bond issue to build a hospital to be constructed
by the county. The bond issue passed and the county named the first
hospital board. The new hospital would be constructed to care for
28 patients. This countywide effort resulted in the hospital becoming
Hamilton County Public Hospital. The new building was constructed
on a 3-acre tract, just west of the original building.
In the 1950s, the hospital averaged 42 patients and had even accommodated
up to 50 at a time. It was time again to ask the community to help
with a building expansion. With the community and federal funds
the new wing was constructed. It housed patient rooms, a new kitchen,
laundry and storage space.
In March 1977, the county broke ground on another expansion for
an ancillary wing. This area would house Radiology,
Services. At this same time the Hamilton County Hospital Auxiliary
was formed. Since its beginning year, the Auxiliary members have
worked to contribute equipment and other needed items to the hospital
that may not normally be in the hospitals budget. They have contributed
to the purchase of isolate units for the nursery, a fetal heart
monitor, new furniture for the lobby of the hospital and family
room. In 1980, the hospital gift shop was remodeled by the Auxiliary,
and continues to be staffed by volunteers.
In 1989, the hospital completed the ambulance
garage and expanded the radiology
department. This expansion included the CT scanner suite, mammography
suite, and ultrasound suite. In May 1989, the hospital broke ground
for a new three-story addition. This addition included a receiving
dock, engineering shop, and space for a pharmacy
on the ground level. It added surgical services to the first floor,
and 20 private rooms with private bathrooms on the second floor.
A new nurse's station was constructed to tie the 1950s addition together
with the new 1989 addition.
Through a marketing consulting firm out of Chicago, we worked
on trying to give ourselves an updated, more modern image. We
wanted the public to know that we have experts right here at our
hospital, whether they are physicians, nursing staff or other
clinical staff. They recommended the name change to Hamilton Hospital,
to which the Board agreed. The name change was implemented in
1997. Legally we are known as Hamilton County Public Hospital
Our funding comes from the revenue we generate plus the county
tax money that we are allowed to request each year. Tax moneys
are a small part of our revenue as the hospital generates about
14.3 million dollars in net revenue per year.
Today the hospital, located in Webster City, IA, is licensed for
25 patient beds, employs approximately 225 people and is certified
by the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals as a Critical
Access hospital. The Hospital Laboratory is fully accredited by
the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare organizations
(JCAHO). The hospital continues to grow and change, we strive to
remain a constant caring organization meeting the Healthcare needs
of those we serve. In October 2003, the hospital opened a provider
based clinic in Jewell, Iowa.
Webster City is a rural community located in the heart of Iowa.
We are an easy one-hour drive to Des Moines, and just 3-4 hours
from Minneapolis or Kansas City.
Our mission is to be the best rural health care provider in the State of Iowa.
We will achieve this mission by:
- Delivery of high quality services and programs directly and through affiliations with other health care providers and agencies;
- Meeting the needs and exceeding the expectations of patients, physicians, employees and buyers of health care, through a commitment to continuous quality improvement;
- Taking a leadership role on issues of health care by providing education and seeking community participation to improve the health of all citizens;
- Maintaining the financial strength required to deliver health care services.